Sunday, February 06, 2005

Quoth the Child:

"Is this sad music? Because it's making me feel sad."

So said The Daughter just a few minutes ago (as I'm writing this, as I'm actually publishing the post on Sunday morning). That's the first time, to my recall, that she's ever commented on the emotional fabric of a piece of music. I found that interesting, as well as the fact that I didn't find the music in question (the main theme from Once Upon a Time in the West, from the album Yo Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone) particularly sad -- certainly beautiful, and maybe elegiac, but not actually sad. But then, The Daughter is only five, so she still has yet to learn the fine gradations to emotions and how to describe them (such as the idea that there are sadnesses that are happy, if that makes sense). For now, I think it's cool that she's relating music to feeling.

No comments: