Tuesday, February 15, 2005

My new criterion for political outrage

I've decided that I just don't have time to get into all the various weird political things of the day. I'm talking about that professor from some obscure college who apparently holds some views that put him slightly to the left of Chairman Mao, and I'm talking about the weird way in which some guy apparently went to Kinko's and printed up some press credentials with which he was then granted a place in the White House Press Room, and the salacious details of his life. Sure, I spend a little time reading about it, and if it's a plus for my side I cheer the good guys and if it's a plus for the other side I hiss the bad guys, but my new rule for if I intend to comment on it here is this:

If the scandal or issue in question seems like one that will occupy less than a single page in one of the 900-plus page tomes about the Bush Years that will hit the bookstores in 2010 or thereabouts, it probably doesn't warrant my weighing in upon it.

Not that this has even been much of a political blog since the election, but I just have so little energy these days for tallying the outrages of the week. There's always another week, and always another outrage. So I'm going to be picking my outrages carefully.

No comments: