Sunday, February 27, 2005

But on the other hand....

In the previous post I use a blog post to defend the utility of libraries. Meanwhile, the incoming President of the American Library Association, Michael Gorman, doesn't think too highly of the utility of blogs:

It is obvious that the Blog People read what they want to read rather than what is in front of them and judge me to be wrong on the basis of what they think rather than what I actually wrote. Given the quality of the writing in the blogs I have seen, I doubt that many of the Blog People are in the habit of sustained reading of complex texts. It is entirely possible that their intellectual needs are met by an accumulation of random facts and paragraphs. In that case, their rejection of my view is quite understandable.


Having read the article, I just have to wonder what blogs this man has been reading. When one encounters a screed like this, it's natural to wonder just what the writer's sample happens to be. Unfortunately, names are not named here, so basically Gorman's piece reduces to "The unnamed people who called me an idiot are illiterate poopyheads".

No comments: