Tuesday, January 18, 2005

IMAGE OF THE WEEK (belated, yet again)





The surface of Titan, as photographed by the Huygens probe last week.

It annoys me that my illness last week prevented me from taking much notice of another staggering NASA achievement, landing a probe on a moon of Saturn and having it return images. As always, for stuff like this keep an eye on A Voyage to Arcturus, where Jay Manifold continues to keep an eye on developments.

Here's a great quote I found over there, by the way:

Folks, without a dream that there is more to life and being than the squalor of our present condition, we cease being the pinacle of life. Of late, cats show more curiosity than we do. The quest for knowledge is worth every cent of what we spend. We need to keep the thing that makes us truly human, our intelligent need for answers, alive.


Obviously I disagree that the primary problem is "leftists" who believe that "The left is convinced, and astoundingly unimaginative enough to think that every free penny from workers should go to supporting those who refuse to", but I wholeheartedly admit that I often get annoyed when people object to space exploration on the grounds that the money could be better spent "here on Earth".

No comments: