Monday, September 13, 2004

Hidden Details

I was just glancing at the new masthead image I'm using this month (for some strange definition of "this month"), and I noticed something I didn't notice at first. In the body of water at the bottom of the valley, on the right side of the painting, there is, reflected in the sunlight, what appears to be a building of some sort: a shrine, maybe, supported by what appear to be Greek-style columns. Funny thing though, I can't see any evidence in the painting of the building whose reflection this is. I think there might be a hint of this behind the leaves of the tree that is in the foreground but just above the reflection, but I'm not sure.

I'm thinking a bit about the symbolism here, but I'm not coming up with anything. Does anyone have any ideas? The painter, Arthur Hughes, lived in the Romantic era (1823-1904).

(Larger version of the painting here.)

No comments: