Sunday, May 02, 2004

Someday that'll be me, signing the title page....

Via 2Blowhards (in the middle of one of their "Elsewhere" grab-bag posts), I see this Lawrence Block article about signed books. It's a fascinating article:

"James Ellroy signed the entire first printing of My Dark Places, some 65,000 books in all. He wrote two words, James and Ellroy, 65,000 times each. That's 130,000 words, which is more than he took to write the whole damn book."

Interesting, that.

Even more interesting is the fact that occasionally The Store will get in some cookbooks by TV chefs that are signed -- such as the copy of Martin Yan's Chinatown Cooking that I just bought today. I was going to buy it anyway, because I love cookbooks in general and Chinese cookbooks more specifically and big beautiful Chinese cookbooks with lots of color photos of the food most of all, and because I always liked watching Martin Yan on TV ("If Yan can cook, you can too!"), especially when he'd pull out his cleaver and bone a chicken in thirty seconds. All the greater was my surprise when I glanced inside the front cover to find the inscription in black marker: "Good food, good wine, good health, a wonderful life -- Martin Yan". That's just cool, especially since I missed out on the signed Alton Brown cookbook we had in stock a few months back.

To my knowledge, this is the only signed book that I own.

No comments: