Friday, May 14, 2004

The saddest sign of summer

Undoubtedly, the most depressing sign of the onset of summer is the passing of children left buckled in their car-seats in hot weather while parents go off to do whatever. Sure enough, I see my first such instance today -- only this one's different, because a nine-year-old happened to walk by the car and observe the reddened, sweat-drenched infant.

Good God, people. CSI even did an episode that revolved around an infant left in a hot car. How can people not know this yet?

But then, not a day goes by at The Store that I don't observe a parent allowing a child to ride a shopping cart by standing on the front-edge of the bottom rack and hanging on to the front, so that any frontal-impact of that cart against another object will be softened by the child's body. So, I guess either people think it's not going to happen to them, ("I was only going in for just a minute), or they have no real idea of the danger ("I can stop the cart in time and I don't push fast"), or, well, child safety is something that goes away once you get to take the plastic plugs out of all the electrical outlets.

(link via Darth Swank)

No comments: