Sunday, May 30, 2004

Oh my God, I may be on the right track after all....

Lynn Sislo links a Ray Bradbury piece about censorship -- not government-sponsored censorship, but the more insidious kind of censorship that arises from the closing of the mind and the increasingly paralyzing fear of taking (and giving) offense. It's an excellent article (it's by Bradbury, duh!), but what caught me eye was this graf, toward the end:

For, let's face it, digression is the soul of wit. Take the philosophic asides away from Dante, Milton or Hamlet's father's ghost and what stays is dry bones. Laurence Sterne said it once: Digressions, incontestably, are the sunshine, the life, the soul of reading! Take them out and one cold eternal winter would reign in every page. Restore them to the writer - he steps forth like a bridegroom, bids them all-hail, brings in variety and forbids the appetite to fail.


Whoa! Do you know what this means? I am the very model of a writer who digresses. I digress constantly. I could almost say that I've structured my life around the entire idea of digression.

Which reminds me of something else...but I digress.

No comments: