Tuesday, May 04, 2004

I'm feeling obsolete....

Over at Terminus, Drew is contemplating the direction of his blog. Specifically, he's thinking of shifting from a predominant focus on politics to a focus on movie reviews and general commentary and the occasional picture of a beautiful woman. My thunder is in danger of being stolen! Put down my thunder, scoundrel!

More seriously, though, I'll continue visiting Terminus no matter what Drew does, but I suspect he may be overanalyzing what happens in his comments. I don't think comments are really all that good an indicator of what readership may want or respond to, for blogs whose traffic is under a certain threshold. (This includes mine.) I know that I am almost always surprised at which posts generate the most commenting activity (unless I'm specifically asking readers to comment), and it seems probable to me that the only time one really gets heavy commenting to political threads is if the blog is one of the heavy-hitters of Blogistan to begin with -- I'm thinking at least a "Large Mammal" on the Truth Laid Bear Ecosystem, for example.

My general suspicion is that the political section of Blogistan has pretty much "settled out", with there being almost no chance of a new blogger ascending to Atrios or Glenn Reynolds or Kevin Drum or Steven Den Beste levels. My parallel suspicion is that bloggers who don't focus on politics (by "focus" I mean, feature well over 50% of posts containing political content) probably will never climb to those levels either, simply because Blogistan has for good or ill become associated with cranky political commentary.

And now I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. Oh well....

No comments: