Sunday, May 23, 2004

Book FIVE??!!

"Margaret, I hung in there as long as I could, but you've long since passed the point when I stopped caring." --Leo McGarry, The West Wing ("Let Bartlet Be Bartlet")

Somehow, Jostein has managed to make it to the fifth book of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series before detecting the onset of excruciating boredom. I, on the other hand, was one of the lucky ones: I nodded off about a hundred pages into book two, put the thing aside, and have never picked it up since. And from what I've heard in other forums, the series only gets worse as the number of extant volumes approaches (and achieves) double digits.

I'd recommend that Jostein read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series instead, but that one appears to be hopelessly stalled after three books (according to this message on GRRM's official site, which has not been changed since it was posted over four months ago). A Storm of Swords came out at least three years ago, and there's been nary a peep out of Martin since. When A Feast for Crows finally does appear, I'll probably have to re-read the first three books just to remind myself what was going on.

No comments: