Friday, April 09, 2004

A surgeon and a doc, above it all....

Well, just when I thought ER couldn't annoy me any more than they did when they killed off Dr. Romano, they topped themselves by killing off Sandy, Dr. Weaver's lesbian wife. Now, this time out, it's not like they killed off my favorite character (which was the case with Romano) – Sandy was a minor recurring character – but it had a "been there, done that" feeling, in a couple of ways. First of all, the manner of the death seemed too reminiscent of a remarkable second season episode that also involved the death of a firefighter; secondly, it all turns out to be set-up for a custody battle. Sandy had borne a child via in vitro fertilization; the episode ends with Kerry basically being shoved out the door by Sandy's family, now that they've swiped the kid on the basis that they are the blood relatives. Sigh. (And given how ER's writers totally muffed, in my opinion, the show's last custody battle, I'm not optimistic.)

I don't know -- ER has really decided to wallow in pathos this year, and there's no sign of any turning away from this trend any time in the future.

No comments: