Sunday, April 04, 2004

I dreamed a dream, in time gone by....

As might be evidenced by the most recent MOB! post, I'm in the middle of one of my quarterly obsessions with Les Miserables. I've never read the book, and I've never seen the Broadway show, but I'm damned if I haven't been in love with the music for well over ten years now. At least four times a year, I go through a week where my CD of the entire show (that concert version they did at the anniversary some years ago, with the all-star cast and the encore in which the guys who sang the role of Jean Valjean in all the various international productions perform "Do You Hear the People Sing?") comprises my only music listening. I don't know what the deal is -- I'm not even sure I could recite the entire story of the show, but I have never stopped loving the music.

I've been continually frustrated over the years that the touring production of Les Miz always seems to arrive in Buffalo when I'm either unavailable or unable to afford tickets. Now that I'm working, though, maybe I'll catch the next one. (It was here last week.) I will see this damn thing, someday.

(BTW, if any of my readers has seen the show, is the "One Day More" number as spectacular as I always think it has to be, given the way it sounds on the CD? I mean, on disc, that number is a friggin' barnburner!)

No comments: