Saturday, March 27, 2004

Questionable Sales Strategies

In the middle of an update about life stuff, The Grey Bird relates a call she received from the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra's ticket sales people. I read this with mild interest, because when we first moved from the Southern Tier to Buffalo four years ago, I actually interviewed with the BPO's sales staff for a job, and I got to listen in on one of their sales calls, which starts with a "Hi, we're just calling to see if you liked the concert" type of thing before awkwardly sliding into a sales pitch. (Why do companies think that sales calls can be disguised thusly? Yeesh.) But I have to say, the call that I got to hear didn't go anywhere near as far afield as Grey Bird's did. Wow. No way I'd be comfortable doing that.

No comments: