Saturday, March 27, 2004

Anime Goodness

A couple of anime notes:

:: First of all, the big news is the recently announced DVD release of three more Studio Ghibli films. I'm looking forward to seeing Porco Rosso and Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, and I'm really looking forward to having a DVD of My Neighbor Totoro, which is quite simply one of the finest films I have ever seen. As ever, keep an eye on Nausicaa.net for Ghibli-related news, and Destroy All Monsters for general Asian pop-culture stuff.

:: Regular readers of USS Clueless know that when he's not writing 9000-word essays about how America should be bombing into submission everything between Tunis and Calcutta (yes, I'm oversimplifying!), Steven Den Beste has quite the budding interest in anime. ("Budding" probably isn't the word, since he's amassed an anime library that's apparently rather impressive.) The other day, SDB posted a helpful summation of his recommendations thus far. His post centers on the anime series he has watched -- i.e., no stand alone films -- which actually strikes me as being pretty helpful, since I tend to look at the anime section at Media Play and wonder which end is up.

:: Not quite anime-related, but I have a new review of an "issue" of a manga called Dragon Knights over on DAM. It's probably not a very helpful review for those wondering if they want to read that series (for reasons I explain), but there it is.

No comments: