Monday, February 23, 2004

Two questions? That's it?

Lynn Sislo provides yet more questioning food-for-thought. Somehow, she always poses questions that are interesting. Today's are:

If you could have as a pet, any creature from science fiction what would you choose?

Well, I could annoy any David Weber fans amonst my readership by choosing one of those telepathic cat things from the Honor Harrington books. (I've only read two of those novels, but I have it on good authority that the kitties get really annoying later on.) I don't really recall too many pets from the SF I've explored, so maybe I'd just go with a "sehlat", an indigenous species of the planet Vulcan. These were never shown, but when Dr. McCoy beamed with delight at Spock's mother Amanda's description of a sehlat as a Vulcan teddy bear, Spock pointed out that on Vulcan, the teddy bears are alive and have six-inch fangs.

Sticking with Star Trek, one beastie I would not want as a pet is a Ceti eel, those nasty things from The Wrath of Khan that burrow into the skull through the human ear, even though Khan told his victims (Capt. Terrell and Commander Chekov) to "think of them as pets".

If you could own any device from science fiction what would you choose?

I assume that by "device", we're talking about something one can hold -- not a ship or vehicle, in other words. Assuming that weapons are an option, the obvious choice is a lightsaber. No doubt about it. If we're ruling out weapons, then one of the tricorders from Star Trek would be pretty neat, since they can apparently scan for nearly anything. Or, quite frankly, I'd love to have that little marble of Obi Wan's in Attack of the Clones that fills a room with a holographic, three-dimensional star map.

No comments: