Saturday, February 07, 2004

Friday Burst of Weirdness (a day late)

No, I didn't post anything yesterday. No real reason, outside of the fact that I was pretty tired and just didn't have anything cogent to say. (Leaving aside, of course, the issue of whether I ever have anything cogent to say.)

Anyway, here's what would have been the Friday Burst. I was just starting my freshman year of college when the Berlin Wall fell and the process of German reunification began, and since I was away from home for the first extended time in my life and that I was deep into my studies, I regretfully don't have as full a sense of living through that period of history that I do from living through other things that have transpired in my life -- my memories of the Iranian hostage crisis, for example, are more vivid even though they took place when I was in third and fourth grade.

So, I am prepared to grant that my sense of history surrounding the Fall of Communism is not what it should be; even so, however, I am not prepared to grant that I missed the seminal contribution of David Hasselhoff.

(via Warren Ellis.)

No comments: