Sunday, January 04, 2004

New Year's from Vienna (a follow-up)

As I noted the other day, I watched this year's New Year's Celebration from Vienna, as taped on PBS. And as always, it was a delight, although I thought this year's conductor, Ricardo Muti, generally selected tempi that were a bit on the "brisk" side -- not so much a problem for polkas and galops, but "On the Beautiful Blue Danube" just felt way-too-fast to my ears.

The telecast's camera work was, as always, excellent, with my favorite bits coming in the first waltz of the program when the camera seemed to soar down from the high ceiling of the Musikverein, giving bird's-eye-view shots of the orchestra, a perspective I'd not seen before. Wonderful.

The daughter got a big kick of the fact that Muti "conducted" the audience's clapping during the "Radetzky March", which is always a pleasure -- especially since the folks at our local PBS station have finally realized that just because the credits roll over the "Radetzky March" doesn't mean they can break in over the music to tell us what's on next.

No comments: