Sunday, December 07, 2003

All Hail the Football Doofus!

I don't like it when the Bills play the 4:00 game if there's no reason for them to do so (i.e., they're playing at home or on the East Coast). If they play at 1:00, I'm either happy when the game's over – in which case I'm in the mood for more football – or I'm annoyed that they lost, in which case I want to "cleanse my football palate" by watching a different game. As it is, a late start here is just weird. (Local pizzerias love late Bills games, though, because a late game means that people will order a lot more pizza for halftime.)

But I did get to hear some blithering idiot on the local radio station, who in the space of the ten minutes I listened to him while driving back from the grocery store advocated the Bills firing head coach Gregg Williams, dumping quarterback Drew Bledsoe, trading Travis Henry (in favor of starting Willis McGahee next year, who is not only an unproven rookie but is also attempting recovery from a bad knee injury), and finding a "credible Number Two receiver". If the Bills do all that, this guy opined, they'd be in better position to win a Super Bowl next year.

Now, I can get behind sending Williams on his way (or at least offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, the guy who would ignore the run if he had Jim Brown in his backfield). And maybe Bledsoe, although I want to know who's in before we ship him out. But trading a proven player like Henry because we have a guy who has yet to play a single down in the NFL? And we're giving up already on Josh Reed, who is virtually guaranteed to have more catches in this, his second year, than either Peerless Price or Eric Moulds did in their second years (or even third, in Price's case)? Man, they'll put anybody on sports talk radio these days.

No comments: