Monday, September 08, 2003

My comrade-in-arms linked a rather disconcerting news item a while ago, about a group of Muslims in London who plan to have an event on September 11 to honor the memory of the hijackers. I didn't link it at the time, because I simply lacked the words to express the outrage and the inability of my mind to wrap itself around the idea that there are people out there who actually think that Atta and his eighteen friends performed an act of heroism. One of the things about our species that really terrifies me is that no matter what you do in this world, there will always be someone, somewhere, who approves of what you did.

I was reminded, though, of that news item by this post on a blog called Bloggy (which, in turn, I see via Atrios). It's a post detailing the picketing some Christian fundamentalists did at that new public school in New York City for gay students. There are a couple of pictures, one of which shows the placards these folks displayed. One of them reads, quite incongruously, "Thank God for Sept. 11".

Fundamentalists: ultimately, no matter which Holy Book they're reading from, there's not a lot to choose between them.

No comments: