Wednesday, September 03, 2003

A maintenance note: It appears that my commenting system of choice, YACCS, is having severe server problems which will likely not be resolved for another week yet. This is not acceptable to me -- I love comments, even if I don't get all that many of them -- so I've instituted a stop-gap measure for the interim period, a message-board system. You'll find the link after each post, in the usual spot. One proviso, though: it's all one big message board, as opposed to a separate comment thread for each post. So, when you comment, make sure you at least reference the post you're commenting on so I know what's going on. I also ask for civility and all the rest of that, but I don't tend to inspire a lot of raging comment (except from certain quarters, and I have other ways of dealing with the nefarious Mr. Jones....heh heh heh....) so I doubt that will be an issue. I'm also not sure how the new board handles user IDs and links to personal homepages or blogs or whatnot, so keep that in mind. You might need to physically sign and leave your URL within the comment itself. Or maybe not; I haven't investigated that much.

I could have gone with one of the other commenting systems out there, like BlogBack or BackBlog or HardTack or FatBack, but I figured the message-board thing might be different, and if I like it, I may just keep it as a general board connected to the blog after YACCS returns to full service. I do plan to continue using YACCS; I think it's been a pretty good system despite more frequent outages than I like. But that's a clear case of "Ya gets what ya pays for," isn't it?

So, enjoy. Comment away...and don't forget to mention which post you comment on.

No comments: