Monday, September 01, 2003

"It's not what you said, it's the way that you said it…oh my God, I'm a woman!"

-Joey Tribiani in a moment of gender confusion.

Here's a sign that I need the NFL season to start, pronto: the other night I watched An Affair to Remember, and the last scene got me blubbering like a baby. (It always does, though.)

But that movie is just a showcase of good acting. Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr accomplish so much chemistry not just through fine dialogue (with which the film is loaded) but also through exchanged looks, expressions, and touches. That last scene, my god…when Cary Grant is telling Kerr about the painting he told his art dealer to give away, and then he suddenly puts two-and-two together…geez, I'm tearing up just thinking about that scene.

The film's third act flags a bit, as it tries to convince us that the always urbane and charming Grant is a starving artist and as we are treated to two horrible music numbers by children. But that actually heightens the sense of relief at the end, when the script finally returns to the sharp dialogue of earlier.

No comments: