Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Here's a DVD technical question: As I've noted before, I use the Buffalo and Erie County Library system for a lot of my DVD viewing, because they have a great collection and I can request DVDs from anywhere in the library system and have them delivered right to my local branch, which is perfect, especially for older films or even foreign movies that aren't stocked at the local BlockBuster. (People who live in big metro areas and don't use their libraries might as well move to rural Montana.)

But, the B&ECPL has a practice of putting their nice, thick cataloging barcode labels right on the face of the DVDs themselves. This doesn't seem to interfere with playback at all, except that while watching any DVD I check out of the library my player makes a "buzzing" noise that I suspect is the wobbling of the disc as it rotates at high speed, with said wobble resulting from that label's weight throwing the disc out of balance. (These labels are thick.) I'm 98% certain that the labels are the cause of the buzz, because I never hear it when playing my own DVDs or ones I rent.

So, is there any possibility that playing these unbalanced DVDs can hurt my player, or is that buzzing just a minor annoyance?

No comments: