Sunday, July 13, 2003

Lynn writes today:

If you go far enough in one direction it becomes hard to distinguish the differences amoung the people you consider to be "the other side."

Oh, I don't know about that...it seems to me it's actually pretty easy, once you get that far out. There's "me", and everyone else is "not me".

I kid, though. I do understand what she's getting at, and I pretty much avoid the term "white trash" for the same reason she does: "trailer trash" is a better descriptor. And she's correct that it's wrong to equate "redneck" with either "white trash" or "trailer trash". "Redneck", to my way of thinking, can be an honorific: it implies a certain physicality of lifestyle, whereas "trailer trash" implies sloth. Additionally, you can find "trailer trash" anywhere, and you don't even need the trailer. Rednecks are harder to come by.

Yep, I'm really hurting for material today....

No comments: