Thursday, June 05, 2003

So, you want to read the books of Christopher Moore (who has a new one coming out any day). Well, Khan Noonian Singh has you covered.

Moore's an enormously gifted writer of books that are filled with elements of supernatural horror (elements only; these aren't scare books) and lots of dark humor. (I mean lots. If dark humor's your thing, Moore is your guy.) My personal favorite is Island of the Sequined Love Nun, whose plot is indescribable. Bloodsucking Fiends is a hilarious take on the good old "Boy meets vampire" story. Lamb is Moore's most ambitious novel, and it starts out great (I will never get over the image of Jesus as a boy making his own face appear in the Passover bread) but becomes uneven toward the end. The others are as Khan says (although I keep forgetting to actually read Lust Lizard...strange!). Oh, and Practical Demonkeeping contains within its pages the best literary insult I've ever heard: "I have seen greater intelligence in the crotch lice of harem-whores."

Turning me on to Christopher Moore is, in fact, one of a handful of reasons why I have not yet done The Old Bird in....

No comments: