Thursday, June 05, 2003

IMAGE OF THE WEEK





The "Three Graces" fountain in the Mirror Lake, Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo, New York.

I like to use my Image of the Week to show off neat things in Buffalo that my readers probably don't know anything about. It's my way of showing Blogistan that Buffalo isn't just snow, chicken wings, and the Bills. But here's an example of something in Buffalo I had no idea about.

The Forest Lawn Cemetery is usually mentioned in any roster of Buffalo's architectural and historical sites (President Millard Fillmore is buried there), but I've never been there despite all that. So I spent some time today glancing through some online photo galleries of the cemetery, and there are some very striking bits of sculpture there that I need to go see sometime. A case in point is this fountain, which is actually a replica of a sculpture a Hudson River estate that was installed fairly recently (1987).

No comments: