Tuesday, June 03, 2003

At some point in the near future, something momentous will happen: I will receive my first payment, ever, for a piece of writing.

[Looks around, hears crickets chirping]

It's not a story of mine -- if it was, there would be Java-scripted fireworks at the top of this page -- but rather a short article I submitted to the "My View" column in The Buffalo News, in which I contrast my experience of living in Syracuse with that of living in Buffalo. I shall, of course, post a link when the article appears. The money isn't much -- I'll be able to take the family out to dinner or a movie (or, if I select a sufficiently cheap establishment or make a meal of the popcorn, dinner and a movie) but it will be a professional credit that I will be able to show to other prospective markets and clients.

(And the ideas expressed in the article were, of course, developed in this space during the time we spent in Syracuse, although I didn't simply rework a post from here to submit to the paper. I only do that under my other pseudonym, Jayson Blair.)

No comments: