Sunday, May 11, 2003

Oh, and speaking of the "$374K-a-year, Top One Percent" thing -- I'm no expert on economics and I'm not particularly inclined to work through all the math on my own (yeah, I'm lazy that way -- it's not that I'm bad at math, but when it comes to math I'm not very patient at all). So, as income disparity grows and more and more of our nation's wealth becomes concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, would it not follow that if these trends are allowed to proceed unchecked, than that $374K/year figure will actually go up? In other words, is the cut-off line for the Top One Percent going to keep going up?

I'm wondering because if someone manages to move from, say, $65K/year to $150K/year over ten years or so, but the Top One Percent figure rises disproportionally as well -- actually, I'm not sure exactly what that would mean. If anything. Any ideas, anyone?

No comments: