Sunday, April 13, 2003

Many watchers of American Idol (yeah, I'm one of them; give me a break!) were surprised that this week saw the elimination of Rickey Smith, a wonderfully exuberant guy who performed very well this week (in the opinion of the judges, as well, including Simon) instead of, say, the woman who did a warbling rendition of Blondie's "Call Me" or the other woman who did Bryan Adams's "Everything I Do" not very well. It was surprising that the clearly stronger performer was eliminated, but it's worth remembering that last week, no one was eliminated, and thus those vote totals were combined with this week's. That's probably what did Rickey in, plus the fact that I suspect Ruben and Clay are piling on more votes each week as they win more and more converts. I'd like to see the vote tallies, though -- I wonder if Rickey somehow lost in a squeaker, or if he was legitimately blown out. (And why is it that voting can only be done on a cell phone? What's up with that?)

Of course, I think that only a stiff case of laryngitis could stop Ruben from winning this thing in a walk.

No comments: