Sunday, March 30, 2003

One of my favorite authors is Christopher Moore, who writes darkly humorous novels that usually have some supernatural element -- his tone usually reminds me of some of the comedic episodes of The X-Files, particularly the ones written by Darin Morgan or Vince Gilligan. My favorite books of his are still the first ones I read, Island of the Sequined Love Nun, a whacky story about an airline pilot who is forced into a kind of exile in the South Pacific, and Bloodsucking Fiends, a love story about a boy and his vampire girlfriend. I found his most recent book, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal something of a mixed bag -- some of it was very funny indeed, but the dark tone of the book's last hundred pages or so didn't work as well.

Anyway, Moore has a new book coming out in a couple of months: Fluke, or I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings". The novel is describe as "a rollicking adventure involving an age-old conspiracy, top-level military secrets, a highly evolved super race with a penchant for baked goods, the source of all life on the planet, a very bizarre long-distance love affair, and a megalomaniac undersea ruler thrown in for good measure."

I can't wait.

(BTW, I was introduced to Moore by a certain being of pure evil who shall not be named.)

No comments: