Wednesday, March 12, 2003

I started planning my freelance copywriting business late last summer, and I finally decided to take the plunge in late August, writing my initial draft of a sales letter and ordering business cards, imprinted with my name and contact information. Within days of getting the cards in the mail, my wife was offered a promotion and transfer to Syracuse, which rendered a box of 250 business cards useless.

So, after living here for a little while, I finally decided to get going on my freelance copywriting business again. I rewrote my sales letter, crafted a brochure and reply cards for my informational packet, and began combing the Central New York Business Journal and the Central New York Book of Lists for contacts. I even sent out my first mailing -- sixty letters, ten days ago. All well and good...

...except a few weeks ago I went ahead and replaced the now-useless business cards I had printed in Buffalo, this time with my Syracuse contact information.

Yesterday, my wife's Area Director calls her at home.

(Do I need to finish this story?)

Anyway, it's looking very probable that we're moving back to the Buffalo area sometime in the next two weeks. So, at some point -- I'll announce it when it happens -- Byzantium's Shores will go on hiatus for a short while. (Last time it was about ten days or so.)

I don't think I'll miss Syracuse very much -- it's simply not as big a town as we want to inhabit, and my love of winter has been really tested here. I will miss the big shopping mall here, which is bigger than the biggest of Buffalo's malls; and I grew to really love our suburb's public library.The weird thing is that the apartment complex to which we are most likely moving is about five minutes from the one we left back in September...so six months and two moves later, we will have functionally moved the total distance of about five miles.

Life's just weird.

No comments: