Friday, March 28, 2003

I guess I'm in a sports mood today. Sean sends me a report that Patriots QB Tom Brady has agreed to restructuring of his contract in order to free up money so the Pats can pursue some free-agent talent. This is a very classy move on Brady's part, and it's the kind of thing that we don't see enough in sports today -- especially the NFL, when players would just as soon gnaw off their own arms before giving up any of the money promised them in their contracts. I remember how Bruce Smith, one of the finest defensive players in NFL history, would become a complete blockhead during the offseason -- he'd sign a new contract one year, making him very rich; but a few years down the road when someone else would sign a bigger contract somewhere else, he'd suddenly make noises that he wanted more money than what he'd signed for earlier. Brady is taking a financial hit for the team, and it's good to see.

But I still hate the Patriots and hope they use this new windfall to sign, say, Jim McMahon or Jeff George or someone similarly useless. Harumph.

(There, Sean, I publicly praised Tom Brady. It will NOT happen again, I don't care if he gets the Pats to the Super Bowl and then goes 35-36 for eight touchdowns and 700 yards!!!)

No comments: