Friday, February 14, 2003

In honor of Valentine's Day, here are a few of my favorite romantic scenes from movies, in no particular order.

:: Witness: when John Book sings "What a Wonderful World" to Rachel and leads her in what is probably her first dance.

:: The American President: when President Shepard asks Sydney Ellen Wade to dance at the state dinner.

:: Sleepless in Seattle: when Sam and Annie meet for the first time...in the last scene.

:: Titanic: the sketching scene. (Yes, I still like Titanic. Sue me.)

:: On Her Majesty's Secret Service: the scene in the barn, when James Bond realizes he is actually in love.

:: Singin' In The Rain: the title number.

:: My Fair Lady: "I Could Have Danced All Night", "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face".

:: Princess Mononoke: when Ashitaka first comes to San's rescue.

:: When Harry Met Sally...: another great last scene.

:: Rob Roy: "Do ye know how fine ye are to me, Mary McGregor?" Wow....

:: Friends: Chandler proposes to Monica. (Yes, it's a TV show. Yes, I still watch Friends. Sue me.)

:: Flash Gordon: "Flash! I love you, but we only have eight hours to save the Earth!" (Well, OK, it's not romantic at all. But it is my favorite corny line in a movie full of them.)

:: Braveheart: the secret wedding.

:: Attack of the Clones: the secret wedding.

:: The Simpsons: Yeah, another TV show, but Marge and Homer's backstory is witty and touching.

:: Star Trek (The Original Series): As long as I'm in TV land, the episodes "The City on the Edge of Forever" and "Metamorphosis" are romantic masterpieces.

:: Bull Durham: Yet another great last scene.

:: An Affair to Remember: The whole damn movie.

:: Say Anything: The whole damn movie.

:: Casablanca: The whole damn movie.

No comments: