Saturday, January 11, 2003

One of the authors on my list to dip into in 2003 is Ursula K. Le Guin. I've read her essays, off and on, for years -- she wrote a particularly fascinating one that I need to reread, about American Puritanism and how it affects fantasy as a genre -- and she has a new one about writing, courtesy the LA Times. (Beware popups. The LA Times generates lots of the little devils.) The only problem I have with her essay here is that it appears to be a response to an earlier essay by some other writer, and that earlier essay is not linked in the current one. D'oh.

Oh, and it was announced this week that Le Guin is the SFWA's newest Grand Master. Now I really have to read her. (I read The Dispossessed and A Wizard of Earthsea when I was in junior high, disliked both, and I've never read her fiction since. Operating under the assumption that any opinions that I formed in junior high are likely to be suspect, I'm planning to read some Le Guin this year.)

No comments: