Wednesday, January 29, 2003

OK, I just finished watching this week's episode of Alias, and I quite enjoyed it -- more than when I've tried watching this show in the past. They used a tried-and-true formula: an in medias res opening, leaving the heroine in jeopardy, and then flashing back to tell how she got into that situation in the first place. One thing that rankled was the fact that this episode was clearly designed, at least in part, to bring viewers like me -- who haven't been watching faithfully -- at least somewhat up to speed. The execution of the miniature "infodumps" was a bit ham-handed, right down to the dreaded phrase, "As you know....", which I heard at least twice in the episode. "As you know...." speeches are incredibly tempting for a writer who is trying to get information to the reader or viewer that they need to understand the story. But I did enjoy the show's tight pacing, and it's always enjoyable watching Rutger Hauer play the taciturn bad-ass (which is a good thing, because that's virtually the only type of role he ever plays).

As far as TV espionage shows go, though, I think Alias has some heavy lifting ahead of it, if it wants to supersede 24 in my pecking order.

No comments: