Tuesday, November 19, 2002

Sometimes when I sign on to Blogger, I'll check one or two of the "Most Recently Published" blogs in the sidebar before starting work on Byzantium's Shores. So I glanced at this blog, and now I'm thinking: what on Earth is happening to written English? I'm generally forgiving of spelling errors, and I'm willing to overlook the occasional grammatical hiccup, but reading things like this particular blog make me wonder just what is going on with our language, as the spelling and grammar -- such as they are -- are so consistent as to suggest that it's intentional. Is this something of a new, urban-style dialect? Is English evolving apace, as it has for centuries? It's taken centuries to get to the point where readers of English need to have the earliest works in their own language -- Beowulf, say -- translated for readability, but now it seems to be happening in a time-frame better measured in individual years.

Or, is this just another bit of evidence that we're simply gathering up our standards and tossing them out with yesterday's newspaper?

No comments: