Friday, November 15, 2002

Michael Kinsley is one of my favorite political writers, but he's written a funny article today on the phenomenon of women who watch Law & Order obsessively. I rarely watch L&O, partly because I don't like formula shows; I prefer story arcs and shows that depict progressions in their characters' lives. For some people the attraction to L&O is precisely that its formula is so entrenched that the actors themselves are interchangeable, but that's what turns me off -- that, and a general boredom with courtroom dramas that set in with me years ago. (I think that David E. Kelley's one-note, "quirky" writing on L.A.Law is part of what's soured me on courtroom stories.)

(And I'd love to see NBC do a promo for L&O that said "We made this entire story up, without help from the headlines!" and "Don't miss the first five minutes after the first commercial break!". Just for a change.)

No comments: